Fuelly Badge

Fuelly

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Winterize.... again

With 9111 Kms on the clock my VFR1200 was given its 4th oil and filter change. Though the fall weather here has been good, there's a possibility the bike won't be ridden again until spring 2012 and I like to keep it parked with clean oil in it.

With the last service at 4400Kms this is the furthest it has gone on a single oil change. The oil came out quite dirty, but still with a slight greenish tinge from Motul 300v full synthetic. The recommended service interval is 7500 miles but I'll probably never go that far without a change. It's worth noting that this engine has used not a drop of oil since new, and this summer saw some hard use, with a 3600Km mountain tour, a trip to the dragstrip and 2 trackdays.

A new filter went on and 3.2L of 5w40 Motul 300v double ester replaced the dirty 10w40 300v that was drained out. I didn't deliberately switch to 5 weight, it's just what the dealership happened to have.

While I was at it, I changed the final drive oil again with another 200mL or so of Motul full synthetic hypoid oil. I'm well short of needing a final drive service but its an easy task to perform and only took a few minutes. The oil came out clean but with strings of black slime marbled throughout. I added some StaBil to the fuel, put the bike on stands and hooked up a battery tender.

There's no such thing as too much maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment