Fuelly Badge

Fuelly

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Plate Light Extension



North American versions of the 1200 require a set of side reflectors on the mudflap. To meet the requirements, the designers threw together a bit of kludge.... The license plate is bolted to an angled "riser" bracket that holds the reflectors. It sticks out an extra couple of centimetres, rendering the original license plate light useless... so they stuffed in a 6cm or so plastic extension to hold the license plate light out further. I never liked it. It looks goofy and it wobbled and bounced around due to its hasty design. Not a really big deal, but easy to fix.

I took it all apart the other day and put it back together minus the extra junk. It looks just like the Euro version now... much cleaner.

I didn't bother with a "before" shot... the main pic on my title screen shows the original configuration.

Here's what it looks like now:

Here's all the crap that came off:

4 comments:

  1. how do you remove the plate light extension??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I don't remember. I just started taking it apart and put it back together minus the extension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have the same question as BIGIRISH. Just bought a (new) 2010 VFR1200 and the 'extension' was loose from the dealership. I was able to tighten it up using some washers as spacers (appears as if the tophat washer is too long).

    I saw this post on vfrdiscussion and was hoping to find more info on your blog...

    It seems like the kicker to removing the extension is the license plate light. The cord runs through the extension and I need to do one of three things to remove the extension.
    1. Disconnect light at plug and run the plug through the hole in the extension.
    2. Cut the extension (from the pictures, it looks like you did NOT do this... and this is my last option).
    3. Somehow disconnect the light from the bracket and feed the bulb through the extension.

    Hoping you can recall which of these you did. I'm hoping that I can somehow disassemble the bulb assembly and not have to cut the extension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I would have documented my tinkering more carefully. I just took it apart and put it back together minus a bunch of pieces. I didn't cut anything.

    ReplyDelete